The Art of Level Design by Sash

Of all of my time spent on Mr Runner there is one thing which takes up most of my time – designing the levels.  I’d like to share a few lessons I’ve learned about level design that I think are really valuable.

1. Work out the feel of your game

Sounds simple, but its not. Mr Runner isn’t just a platfomer, it’s about conserving speed and momentum. Super Meat Boy is about very precise death-evasion. Knytt stories is about exploring. These are all platformers that have very different feels.
It’s important that you get a feel for your own game. When you work it out, this feel will be the root of all your levels. You’ll keep asking your self, does this level feel the way I want it to? For example, every level in mr runner you can do quickly by conserving momentum.

2. Only design levels that fit that feel

When I opened up Mr Runner 1 to the public, I let them design their own levels. Of these, only a handful were fun. This is because Mr Runner requires a very specific style of controls.

In Mr Runner, the controls are designed to be fun when you jump large distances, conserve momentum, time jumps perfectly, make big wall jumps. They aren’t designed to deal with very precise movements in small areas, stopping and starting, or waiting. The level design had to reflect this. It was never cramped, never required anything to finicky, and instead included large flowing movements that let you keep up your speed.

Put more simply, the game was never difficult because the controls were difficult. At all times, the player should feel as though it’s their fault they died, and this is almost entirely up to level design.

3. Every level has a unique theme

Its no secret that I’m a huge fan of Super Meat Boy, I have A+ the entire game and died more that 22000 times. Part of the reason that I love it so much is that every level is different while maintaining the same feel. Every level has something specific that the player has to do or learn, and no two levels look the same. Each level has a “theme”.

Now take a game like League of Evil, which claims to be the “Super Meat Boy” of the iPhone. I thought it was fun, don’t get me wrong. That being said there are 60 levels and it’s almost impossible to tell them apart. They use the same mechanics in the same way, with slightly different level lay outs – now you have to go Left, not right!

4. Keep it interesting

The player should always feel like they are progressing through the game. One of the biggest mistakes you can make when trying to achieve this, is to throw in a whole lot of levels without introducing any new mechanics.

In Mr Runner 2, I introduce three new mechanics over the 15 levels of each world and in the first world I introduce even more. Players will never have to sit through more than a few levels before they are faced with something that challenges them in a new and interesting way. Typically once a player feels like they’ve experienced all a game has to offer, there is very little incentive to keep playing. If the first level has all they’ll ever see – their patience will wear thin.

5. The WOW factor

There should be at least one bit in every level which makes the player feel awesome. A bit where they literally say outloud “that was cool”, even if no one is around to hear. The bit they want to tell their friends about. The bit they feel like a bad ass for surviving.

Let me give you some examples from Mr Runner: it’s when you first do a slide, when you fall really far and the screen begins to shake with speed, when you’re tossed and miss some spikes by a hairs breadth, when you boost for the first time. If you can’t fit a “wow” moment into every level, at least reward the player every few levels – thats why they’re sticking in there.

6. You are not your players

Don’t assume just because you find / don’t find a level fun, everyone will feel the same way. By the time you finish designing levels, you’ll be so good at the game that you’ll be missing out on an entire section of the learning curve. People’s experience when they first start playing will be very different to your own, so make sure you test it on fresh meat – people who haven’t played it for hours on end. Chances are you’ll need to make your game a shit load easier.

7. Start with a vertical slice

When you sit down to design a level for the first time, you want that level to reflect how the entire game will feel.

Starting at the beginning will force you to design it to be easy, and you’ll have to drop bits which will make it fun later on. Instead, try starting half way through. This will let you design a level which is in total harmony with the feel of your game, and you’ll quickly pick up on what is involved in making this harmony happen. Basically, aim to create a level which summarises why your game is fantastic.

8. Build yourself a comprehensive level editor

Building a level editor can be a chore, but not building one makes designing levels a chore. By making the best level editor you can, you’ll be saving yourself time and pain in the long run. Also, don’t feel afraid to come back and fix it up whenever you need to. After designing my level editor, I decided it needed an undo feature – so I put it in. I also wanted to have it auto save to clip board when i pressed s – so I put it in. These ended up saving me loads of time in the long run.

Discussion

1. Ezequiel says:

Great topic and well written. Do you have any more resources
    about this that you reccommend?

2. Phillip says:

Over the last 10 years, The Cheesecake Manufacturing plant has greater than tripled its sales from $539 million to $1.8 billion in 2011 and more than quadrupled its dining establishment places considering that
    2000, from 41 areas to over 175 areas.

3. I’m glad I discovered your article. I would not have made sense of this topic on my own. I’ve read
    various other articles on this topic, yet I was baffled right up until I read yours.

4. When you’re looking for the best webhosting answer,
    price should not be the choice criteria.

5. Hassan says:

In America, cheesecakes are usually made with cream cheese, however various other fresh cheeses including
    mascarpone prevail in their respective homelands.

6. Yvonne says:

There are some useful camping tips in the following article, so be on the look out for them.

7. Tyson says:

Gently rough up any shiny or uneven areas with a sanding block, then remove the dusty residue with
    a tack cloth.

8. I like this website a lot. Great info.

9. Exactly what is stressing me one of the most is that a lot
    of the stress sensation has actually gone, as well as if I
    do feel any kind of stress I can typically relive it by yawning or breathing in steam, yet
    the ringing still persists.

10. Every weekend i used to visit this website, as i wish for
    enjoyment, for the reason that this this web site conations genuinely
    nice funny material too.

11. Buzzing one ear, or unilateral ringing in the
    ears is likewise related to other names such as ringing
    in the ears in one ear or buzzing in one ear.

12. Due to already, Jordan name one of the main insurance agents of tad lower limb the amount looks are rather than great.
    Recently caught on reporters found on the behavior once
    putting on few of scorching versions in the marketplace oxygen Jordan 5 ex post facto
    gloss white watermelon. your free equipment collocation of the identity socks, appears wei into their using incredibly not as
    much.

13. Nila says:

Tom had the Monte Cristo Sandwich which is crispy French toast packed with bacon, grilled pork, rushed eggs as well as
    Swiss cheese.

14. Maurine says:

Astride this box is a dish for cheesecake that is supposed to suit the ability of this baking tin.

15. Libby says:

They have 2 pastry shop areas in Calabasas, The golden state
    as well as Rocky Mount, North Carolina where they bake all of their delicious cheesecakes, layered pies as well as various other desserts that
    are on the menu.

16. Salvador says:

We appreciate you sharing fantastic informations. Your website is extremely cool.
    I’m impressed by the details that you’ve put on this site.
    It unveils how effectively you recognize this subject. Bookmarked this web site, will keep coming back for a lot
    more articles. You, dude, ROCK! I found simply the information I already searched in all places
    and simply couldn’t run into. What an ideal website.

17. Since Mr. Insta connects you with a hundred% Genuine and Lively followers & likes,
    it is one hundred% protected for your Instagram account.

18. Ear buzzing, or tinnitus, is not a clinical problem yet
    rather a signs and symptom of an underlying problem.

19. Ernie says:

BBC News states that peroxide gel was just at clearing up acne as effective as common antibiotic medications were in one single review.

20. Gonzalo says:

Mini cheesecakes baked in ramekins create a quite presentation for
    your supper event or a larger buffet.

21. Good info. Lucky me I ran across your site by chance (stumbleupon). I have bookmarked it for later!

22. Kathleen says:

Make a very thorough list and make sure everyone has a
    copy of it. This list should go into your overall emergency plan.

23. s n adword, llaemosle; conservadoramente, vece ganba un poc ms, otas
    tntas me mantenia en is ventas s invers. Animated Feature
    Film was ‘Up’ Pete Docter, which also took Music (Original
    Score) Michael Giacchino. Se visualizara la ventana de detalle del registro donde podra modificarlo.

24. I visited several blogs however the audio quality for audio songs current at this web site is actually
    fabulous.

25. Levi says:

I’ve had a recent breakout of acne and this has helped subdue it and manage it.
    I’ve delicate skin therefore Benzol Peroxide’s low quantity is good for me yet still successful.

26. Karolin says:

Today, while I was at work, my sister stole my iphone and tested to see if it can survive a 30 foot drop, just so she can be a youtube sensation.
    My apple ipad is now broken and she has 83 views.
    I know this is entirely off topic but I had to share
    it with someone!

27. Tony says:

Our hearing and ears are a great deal a lot more complicated compared to most people understand and also there is a variety of reasons that cause the signs
    and symptoms of tinnitus, there are 5 main parts
    to the ear as well as this is why it is not easy to correctly pin and also identify factor the cause of a patient that is dealing with tinnitus.

28. Tremendous things here. I am very glad to look your article.

Thank you so much and I’m looking forward to touch you.
    Will you kindly drop me a mail?

29. Rosemarie says:

I’m glad to become a visitor in this amazing website, many thanks for this excellent info!

30. Adrian says:

By the time you end the prepping course of, you’ll have gone by
    means of the paint in some areas ASSURED!

31. Although the difficulty is set quite hard, it is easier to control the game on more advanced
    handsets. With out having to follow physical laws, the races and vehicles
    can maneuver with abnormal rates of speed.
    So, the next time you are fortunate to have the whole family
    in one place, seize the moment and make some memories.

32. Phillis says:

Great article, i surely love this site, continue the good work.

33. Sabina says:

The ear disruption named tinnitus is not an illness or illness,
    yet a symptom that has actually affected the brains and/or ears as a result of various other
    troubles.

34. Elvia says:

Beat the lotion cheese until it is cosy as well as light and after that
    add the eggs, beating well after putting each one.

35. Latesha says:

Bear in mind to click each of the above cheesecakes for the dishes
    and also come back here to finish up this delicious and also attractive Olympic Rings
    Cheesecake.

36. Hello there, Neat post. I’ll be your regular visitor.

37. lnkd.in says:

When someone writes an post he/she maintains the thought of a
    user in his/her mind that how a user can be aware of it.
    Thus that’s why this article is great. Thanks!

38. This is my very first time to visit here. I discovered a multitude of engaging stuff
    as part of your blog, especially its discussion. From
    the tons of comments on the posts, I guess I am not the
    only one having most of the enjoyment! Keep up the
    excellent job.

39. The therapy for herpes is barely totally different for the primary outbreak and
    any subsequent outbreaks.

40. I love this web blog much. Countless outstanding information.

41. Maggie says:

Its causes are numerous (though too much sound and some medications are the significant PREVENTABLE causes).

42. Outside Images’ unwavering focus to detail and use of high-high quality landscape merchandise and equipment make certain that every design and style
    and construct project final results in complete customer satisfaction.

43. Ian Leaf Tax says:

Good article. I’m facing a few of these issues as
    well..

44. Gerald says:

Great topic and well written. Do you have any more
    resources about this that you reccommend?

45. Hwa says:

This site is my inspiration, very outstanding style and design and also fantastic articles.

46. Vito says:

I am sure this piece of writing has touched all
    the internet users, its really really pleasant paragraph on building up
    new website.

47. Rhea says:

Purchase a multi-use tool to store with your camping
    gear.

48. You’re so awesome! I dont suppose I’ve learned anything like this before.

So nice to find any individual with some authentic thoughts
    on this subject. truly thank you for starting this up. this website is a thing that is
    wanted on the internet, someone with a little bit originality.
    very helpful job for bringing something totally new to the online world!

49. Other sources might be mites, ringworm or an uncommon condition referred to as ear margin vasculitis.

50. Great topic and well written. Do you have any more resources about this
    that you reccommend?

4. free download for pc linked here

6. used cars in kerala linked here

7. bullet linked here

8. lion kona coffee linked here

9. Samsung Galaxy linked here

10. coffee beans kona linked here

11. buy coffee beans kona linked here

12. [... Of all of my time spent on Mr Runner there is one thing which takes up most of my time - designing the levels.  I'd like to share a few ...]

13. [... Of all of my time spent on Mr Runner there is one thing which takes up most of my time - designing the levels.  I'd like to share a few ...]

14. strap-on linked here

15. clitoral vibrators linked here

16. miniclip linked here

17. free download for pc linked here

18. Best Anal Plugs linked here

19. [... Of all of my time spent on Mr Runner there is one thing which takes up most of my time - designing the levels.  I'd like to share a few ...]

20. [... Of all of my time spent on Mr Runner there is one thing which takes up most of my time - designing the levels.  I'd like to share a few ...]

21. [... Of all of my time spent on Mr Runner there is one thing which takes up most of my time - designing the levels.  I'd like to share a few ...]

22. Melanie linked here

23. Chaga Pilz linked here

24. Vibrator Sex Toys linked here

25. Sell Your Products linked here

26. cheap A/C linked here

27. womens vibrator linked here

28. [... Of all of my time spent on Mr Runner there is one thing which takes up most of my time - designing the levels.  I'd like to share a few ...]

29. bragi linked here

30. mulvadi 100% kona linked here

31. パパイヤ linked here

32. [... Of all of my time spent on Mr Runner there is one thing which takes up most of my time - designing the levels.  I'd like to share a few ...]

33. [... Of all of my time spent on Mr Runner there is one thing which takes up most of my time - designing the levels.  I'd like to share a few ...]

34. sex toys for women linked here

35. [... Of all of my time spent on Mr Runner there is one thing which takes up most of my time - designing the levels.  I'd like to share a few ...]

36. piece work from home linked here