Why Pathos is Pathetic by Sash

I released Pathos Yesterday, and already it has had more comments than any of my other games… combined. It seems like people either love or hate it, in some cases both. I thought it would be worth writing up my own thoughts on the game and taking an inside look at the issues that have been raised online.

If you haven’t played the game, the post has spoilers and will ruin it for you so play it here first.

The player has very little control over the character

This is a game design flaw that is hard to overlook. As a player your only role is to interact in subtle and infrequent ways with the boy. It puts you in an environment where you are forced to watch the events in a world play out – there is no skipping, and no catering for people with a short attention span. And the further and further on you get, the less and less control you have. By the very last scene you have to turn out lights to keep him moving. Paul over on IndieGames.com/blog said:

this was remarkably shoddy. It had a really nice visual style, but it was torture to play. “Why do I go on”. Who knows…

But here in is the point. When you realise that you are a predator, your lack of control over the boy is cast in a whole different light. You aren’t playing as the boy, you are simply trying to “force him onwards” (cliff scene). You’re manipulating him and as the game goes on his fear makes him less and less susceptible to this manipulation. Adam on my blog put it perfectly:

“The whole thing was about control, to me. I was constantly fighting the kid for control the whole game—he would stop every so often and I just wanted him to get on with it. And then suddenly at the end, I had all the control…until I didn’t, because I couldn’t let him go. And then I kind of regretted pushing him forward, and chasing him down, but it was too late… I had to keep going.”

You are forced into being “evil”

There is a trend in modern gaming to let you choose how “renegade” your character is – Pathos gives the finger to this trend and forces you, in surprisingly uncomfortable way, to be evil. This is initially indicative of criticism,

“There’s no weight to it, because there’s no choice, except play or don’t. You can’t decide to not follow the rules, as then nothing happens.”

But its not your choice that is important, it is your reaction to your lack of choice. As SpinalJack on Rock Paper Shotgun said:

“Your reaction to the game says something about you. Whether or not that’s something you didn’t already know is a different story.
Imagine the Stanley Milgram’s Obedience Experiment, would you hesitate to electrocute a man to death if told to do so with enough authority?
Whether you felt bad/enjoyed/apathetic about hurting the boy in the game or immediately tried to do the opposite of what you were instructed to do is all part of the game/social experiment.”

Adam says:

“Sometimes art makes you uncomfortable. But sometimes you have to get uncomfortable to see something in a way you haven’t seen before.”

By forcing the player into uncomfortable action, I was asking a question. Why do we take a back seat with video game characters so blindly? Do we play, not because we empathise, but instead in the hopes that we will eventually have “fun”? DustbinK on my blog hit the nail on the head:

“It seems people don’t get that this is a “meta game” – it’s about you forcing yourself onto characters in video games without questioning whether they want you to make them do these things or not.”

Of course, there is always another option. You can always quit before the end – but really, how many people are willing to do that? And why not? Why would anybody want to play as a boy who is suffering? Consumatopia on Rock Paper Shotgun raises an interesting point:

“This game is actually more interesting if you interpret this game as a criticism of the “only way to win is not to play” genre rather than an instance of it. In what sense can we say that “you” are the one pushing events forward when the only other option is to halt the program? Am I also responsible for every death in every movie I’ve watched because I could have stopped the movie from playing?”

And why did I even bother making this a game?

The lack of control, both over the boy and over the direction of the game has definitely been an issues for a lot of people:

“This would have been better off as an animation. The bad design choices just distract from the message he’s trying to make.”

But there is one fundamental reason why it has to be interactive to pull its weight:

“The difference being that YOU’RE the one who is forcing this boy to go on even if you don’t have the option to do something else. It’s the difference between watching a video and pulling the trigger.”

So what DID you learn?

Also, I almost LOL’ed reading the author’s description “you will learn something about yourself”.

Yes, I am pretentious, I admit. But what I meant is that Pathos might just make you think about one of these issues.

As a video game, it is flawed. And it’s certainly not everyones cup of tea. But whether you hated it or loved it, or both, Pathos isn’t about having fun or being “cool”, it’s about making you think, and starting a conversation. Something which it has certainly achieved.

I’d just like to close with a comment from MisterX on IndieGames.com, which I think sums up the experience nicely:

At first I was also a little afraid of what was to come, like the boy. But, then, it becomes apparent that you are in control of him, and that he is actually afraid of *you*, suddenly erasing all suspense and turning it  into empathy for the little guy.

Comments were found here:

Discussion

1. Hi! This post could not be written any better! Reading through this post reminds me of my good old room mate! He always kept chatting about this. I will forward this post to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read. Thanks for sharing!

2. As you development you can even create a Clash of Clans base
    online that you can then copy in the recreation.

3. I’m really impressed with your writing skills as well as with
    the layout on your weblog. Is this a paid theme or did you customize it
    yourself? Anyway keep up the excellent quality writing,
    it’s rare to see a great blog like this one today.

4. Unquestionably believe that which you said. Your favorite reason appeared to be on the web the easiest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I certainly get annoyed while people think about worries that they plainly don’t know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top as well as defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people can take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

5. I am sure this post has touched all the internet viewers, its
    really really fastidious article on building up new blog.

6. jasa poker says:

You actually make it seem really easy together with your presentation however
    I to find this topic to be actually something which I feel I’d never understand.
    It kind of feels too complicated and very broad
    for me. I am looking forward in your subsequent submit, I’ll attempt to get the cling of it!

7. Although being aware of keyword percentages is a good idea, it is
    more important that content be relevant and
    useful to the visitor. When Page – Rank was patented the patent was assigned to Stanford University.
    Depending on how how much time you have you can do this about once per
    week. A guy named Alan Emtage, a student at the University of Mc
    - Gill, developed the first search engine for the Internet in 1990.

8. Tanja says:

certainly like your web-site however you have to
    test the spelling on quite a few of your posts. Many of them are rife with spelling
    problems and I in finding it very troublesome to inform the
    truth on the other hand I’ll surely come back again.

9. You can target on options to make large profit, and enable
    the robotic consider treatment of trades that will only deliver you tiny revenue.

10. Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video to make your point. You obviously know what youre talking about, why waste your intelligence on just posting videos to your blog when you could be giving us something informative to read?

11. Arlie says:

I will bookmark your weblog and check once
    again right here frequently. I am quite confident I’ll understand many new stuff proper here!

12. Carlton says:

This scene soundss so exciting families everywhjere should
    be loooing forward to tawking the kids to see ‘Mission: Impossible ‘ Rogue Nation” as soon as itt hits the movie theaters.
    Many of today’s soldiers are armed annd equipped much as their predecessors were,
    wigh a rifle, armour and uniform. Does that meean they will make it a fulfilling prophesy.

13. Link exchange is nothing else except it is simply placing the other person’s weblog link on your
    page at suitable place and other person will also do same for you.

14. Purchasing supplies for jewellery making generally is a daunting task if you
    are not acquainted with respected on-line suppliers or tutorials.

15. Amazing blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere? A theme like yours with a few simple tweeks would really make my blog shine. Please let me know where you got your design. Many thanks

16. Disclosure: I’m a buyer and affiliate.

17. powdered tea says:

With havin so much written content do you ever run into any issues of plagorism or copyright infringement? My site has a lot of exclusive content I’ve either created myself or outsourced but it appears a lot of it is popping it up all over the internet without my agreement. Do you know any ways to help protect against content from being stolen? I’d genuinely appreciate it.

18. Investing in a cheap bill paying organizer can save you tons in late charges and missed payments.
    Is not it time you bought organized?

19. With havin so much content do you ever run into any problems of plagorism or copyright violation? My blog has a lot of exclusive content I’ve either authored myself or outsourced but it looks like a lot of it is popping it up all over the internet without my permission. Do you know any solutions to help reduce content from being stolen? I’d genuinely appreciate it.

20. Greetings! Very useful advice in this particular article!
    It is the little changes that will make the greatest changes.
    Thanks a lot for sharing!

1. Led faucet light linked here

2. Brazilian hair linked here

3. anani siktim linked here

4. weblink linked here

5. real estate agencies linked here

6. house sales linked here

7. resume examples linked here

8. find a boyfriend linked here

9. patio end table linked here

10. [... I released Pathos Yesterday, and already it has had more comments than any of my other games... combined. It seems like people either love or hate it, in some cases ...]

Prev CommentsMore Comments